chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Fwd: Creative Time: Doug Aitken + Summer Fun

  • From: Janet Kagan <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Fwd: Creative Time: Doug Aitken + Summer Fun
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:20:32 -0400

Hello CHPAC

I thought each of you might be interested in this release from Creative Time of NYC, which is sponsoring an event similar to the idea Haig mentioned at last evening's meeting.

All best

Janet

CREATIVE TIME

Mayor Announces Doug Aitken Project

Mayor Bloomberg announced the upcoming Doug Aitken project at a press conference on July 25 - the artist's first large-scale public artwork - jointly commissioned by Creative Time and the Museum of Modern Art. The project is presently being filmed in New York City over the next two months and will be projected on the exterior of MoMA from January 16 to February 12, 2007, from 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.

Inspired by the densely built environment of New York's midtown, the artist will create a multi-screen cinematic art experience that will directly integrate with the architectural fabric of the city. "With this project, Aitken has imagined an innovative urban art experience that magnifies poignant moments of peoples' everyday lives into a grand dialogue between pedestrians and the complex landscape they traverse," stated Anne Pasternak. More to follow as the project develops.

>> Click here to read press about the Doug Aitken project

STRANGE POWERS: Events, Catalog, Virtual & Audio Tours

Peter Coffin and Anne Collier talk about Aura Photographs
and the Egyptian Flower of Life
and more with curator Peter Eleey
Sat, August 19, 1-2pm.

Center for Tactical Magic: ESP Plant Workshop
Let's face it, it's probably your only chance to see a plant
hooked up to a lie-detector test.

Sat, August 19 and Sun, August 20, 3-4pm.

All Free and at the exhibition space, 64 East 4th Street
STRANGE POWERS is open Thur-Fri, 4-7pm; Sat and Sun, noon – 7pm.

3 ways to see and hear more
1. Can't make it to the East Village? Take the 2-minute VIRTUAL TOUR online narrated by the curators.

2. But do try to come down - you have til Sept 17 - and take the Free 15-minute AUDIO TOUR with more behind- the-scene stories about the artists in the show (or download it from our website)

3. Beach Reading – the STRANGE POWERS CATALOG is here. Be the first to get it and be the envy of your friends. Just $5 - pick it up at the exhibition, order on our
website
, or swing over to the New Museum Bookstore, Printed Matter, or 192 Books.

>> Click here to order the Strange Powers Catalog

>> Click here for the Strange Powers Virtual Tour or Audio Tour

Art Parade - Be in it!

This is not the time to be bashful, there's still time for artists and art groups to submit your proposal to artparade AT deitch.com.

THE 2nd ANNUAL ART PARADE presented by Deitch Projects, Creative Time and Paper Magazine, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2006, 4PM, WEST BROADWAY

>> Print out the Poster

Euan Macdonald: Healer

Trudging through Times Square in the summer heat, you'll most likely be in need of some good psychic energy. Look up at the Astrovision Screen on the last minute of every hour*, and accept the good vibrations from Euan Macdonald's Healer. On view through September 30 on The 59th Minute: Video Art on the NBC Astrovision by Panasonic.

>> Click here for more information

*except 7-10am, 6-7 pm

Summer Fun: Photos from Creative Time's Recent Events

We've been naughty (it's inevitable when you're around Miss Coney Island and Dirty Martini; and when there's free beer, Douglas Gordon, and hex stickers at the Strange Powers opening); and we've been inspired by visits to Ryan McGinness' studio and Christine Quinn's talk at Beth Rudin De Woody's home.

>> Click here to view photos

>> Find out how to join the good times

WWW.CREATIVETIME.ORG

Use this link if the form does not work