chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Comprehensive Plan

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Comprehensive Plan
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:03:03 -0400

Hello CHPAC,

As you know from our June 14 meeting, the CHPAC has been asked to review and comment on changes to the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.  As we discussed at that meeting, I have drafted a memo that references the Draft Public Art Contextual Plan and points out a few sections within the plan that could benefit from the inclusion of public art.  The draft memo is below and attached.  Please let me know if you have any comments by 5 p.m. Thursday, June 29.

Thank you!

Kate

************************

TO:                 Mayor and Town Council

FROM:            Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

DATE:            June 30, 2006

SUBJECT:       Comprehensive Plan Comments

The Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission (CHPAC) greatly appreciates the opportunity to review and comment on possible modifications to the adopted Comprehensive Plan.  At the June 14, 2006 CHPAC meeting, the following recommendation was unanimously approved.

The CHPAC recently completed a Draft Public Art Contextual Plan for the Town of Chapel Hill.  The Plan was presented to Town Council on Monday, June 12, 2006.  At this meeting the Town Council received the draft and referred it to Town staff, advisory boards, and commissions.  If adopted, the Plan is intended to become an appendix to the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.  The CHPAC requests that the Draft Public Art Contextual Plan be included in the current review of the Town’s Comprehensive Plan.

Throughout the Comprehensive Plan there are sections that discuss enhancements to and/or visual characteristics of the community that could benefit from the inclusion of public art.  These sections include:

2.0 Major Themes, Overview, paragraph 4

2.0 Major Themes, 2.2 Major Themes, bullet 5

3.0 Community Character, 3D Public Art (expand section/change language)

3.0 Community Character, 3E Town Entranceways

8.0 Land Use and Development, 8D Development Review Process

10.0 Transportation, 10.2 Objectives

12.0 Fiscal Conditions, 12B Financing Comprehensive Plan Initiatives, paragraphs 2 and 3

Table 2C, Community Character

Table 2C, University Relations

Table 2C, Land Use and Development

Table 2C, Community Facilities

Thank you for your consideration.

Kate Billings Flory

Executive Director

Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Chapel Hill, NC  27514

T: 919.968.2888, x377

F: 919.969.2063

E: kflory AT townofchapelhill.org

www.chapelhillarts.org

  • [Chpac-staff] Comprehensive Plan, Kate Flory, 06/27/2006