chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Public Art Contextual Plan

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Public Art Contextual Plan
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:42:35 -0400

Hello CHPAC,

As you know the Contextual Plan will be presented to Town Council on Monday, June 12.  As soon as I learn what time we are on the agenda, I will let you all know.  It would be great to have as many CHPAC members as possible in attendance.  Additionally, I hope that you can join us for the roundtable breakfast the following morning to discuss the plan with various members of the community.  Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Best,

Kate

The Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission (CHPAC) invites you to a breakfast roundtable conversation with public art consultant Gail Goldman, who since December 2005, has been working with the CHPAC to draft a Public Art Contextual Plan for the Town of Chapel Hill.

The Contextual Plan, which will be presented to the Town Council on June 12, combines public art with the Town's existing master plans and action plans; it recommends goals, objectives, and strategies to embed public art into existing and future land use planning. The Contextual Plan also encourages unique partnerships with other Town departments and community organizations.

Because of this unique combination of policy vision and law, the Contextual Plan incorporates public art into both our physical and cultural atmosphere while creating a formal platform for the discussion of public art.  If approved, the plan will also be one of the first of its kind in the nation and will serve as a model for other cities.

Gail Goldman is the former public art director of the City of
San Diego's Commission for Arts and Culture and the Director of Art in Public Places for the Colorado Council on the Arts and Humanities. She has worked extensively with the National Endowment for the Arts in the Design Arts Program.  Her recent work includes a public art master plan for the revitalization of Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Park in Pennsylvania; a public art master plan for Town Lake Park, a 54-acre central park in Austin, Texas; and, the recent development of public art concepts for
the restoration of Lake Merritt in downtown Oakland CA.

We hope you can join Gail and members of the CHPAC to talk about this exciting and important initiative for Chapel Hill.