chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Streetscape Petition

  • From: "Janet Kagan" <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Streetscape Petition
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:26:13 -0400

Hello, CHPAC

As you may recall, the Town Council received and referred to the Town Manager a report from the Streetscape Committee; Debbie and Erica represented the CHPAC at these meetings.  Since their report was issued last month,

there has been much discussion about the need to identify and commission a professional design team (urban planner, landscape architect, public artist, etc) to masterplan both Franklin and Rosemary Streets.  The Town has approximately $500,000 to spend on streetscape between now and November 2006, and almost $2 million in bonds that need to spent by 2010.  These funds are eligible for percent for art projects.

In conversations with other participants on the Streetscape Committee, great interest has been expressed in having the CHPAC take a leadership role in the design of streetscape.  This perception is because we are charged with "advising the Town on all art related matters" and because we are one of the only Town agencies qualified to make decisions in this realm.  On Thursday 6 April, the Percent for Art committee also endorsed this opportunity.

I have been asked to petition the Town Council to formally engage the CHPAC in their future planning of streetscape with attention to design and art.  Please find attached a working draft of the petition.

Warm wishes

Janet

  • [Chpac-staff] Streetscape Petition, Janet Kagan, 04/09/2006