chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] CHPAC updates

  • From: "Kate Flory" <kflory AT townofchapelhill.org>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] CHPAC updates
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:20:39 -0400

CHPAC,

Here are a few exciting updates:

Last night Town Council approved the Town’s FY05-06 budget.  The CHPAC received $150,000 with the stipulation that $25,000 be used for the Contextual Plan.  If any of you would like to write a thank you email to the Mayor and Town Council for their support of public art, please feel free to do so!!  Emails can be sent to mayorandcouncil AT townofchapelhill.org

As you may know the Parks and Recreation Department received an additional $500,000 grant for the development of Southern Community Park, making the total Park budget $3.2 million.  Our 1% allocation of this budget would obviously be $32,000.  A town/county oversight committee that is working on Southern Community Park (amongst other projects) recommended that additional funds (beyond 1%) be used for implementing the public art concepts proposed by Laura Haddad and Tom Drugan.  Last night the Town Council voted in support of applying additional funds for public art.  The exact allocations are not yet set (there was quite a bit of discussion about in-line hockey vs. basketball courts, etc.); however, at this stage the recommendation is that the total public art budget be increased by $23,000, which will give us $30,000 for implementation (we originally hired Laura and Tom for $20,000 for their design services and kept $7,000 in reserve for project implementation)!  Very exciting!

On June 1, 2005 we submitted our annual grant request for $5,000 (the maximum possible amount) to the Orange County Arts Commission, for general operating support.  We were just notified that we received $2,500 for FY05-06.  (We always apply for the maximum $5,000; FY04-05 we received $3,000; FY03-04 we received $2,500; FY02-03 we received $2,200).  My understanding is that they gave grants totaling (approximately) $16,000 this year.

The Sculpture Visions installations continue!  Two pieces are now installed – Crane Queen by Doug Makemson is installed at the Hargraves Center and Quetzalcoatl’s Declination by Robert Coon is installed at the Library.  They look fantastic!  The rest of the sculptures will be arriving in the next two weeks – we’ll keep you updated.

Best,

Kate

Kate Billings Flory

Executive Director

Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission

405 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Chapel Hill, NC  27514

T: 919.968.2888, x377

F: 919.969.2063

E: kflory AT townofchapelhill.org

www.chapelhillarts.org

  • [Chpac-staff] CHPAC updates, Kate Flory, 06/28/2005