chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] Public Art Strategic Master Plan

  • From: "Janet Kagan" <jkagan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: <chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] Public Art Strategic Master Plan
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:39:36 -0500

Dear CHPAC

I am writing to bring each of you up to date with the status the CHPAC Strategic Master Plan.  I met with our Executive Committee on Thursday 20 January and they agreed that this undertaking is important although they have concerns about the financial implications to our current FY 2004-05 budget and our proposed FY 2005-06 budget to the Town Council.  Costs to complete comparable master planning projects can range from $25,000 - $100,000, depending upon the scope of services and final deliverables.  Many public art master plans that I reviewed (and which cost more than $50,000) included recommendations for organizational implementation.  Because we already have in place new percent for art procedural guidelines, policies for the acquisition and deaccession of works of art, an organizational structure and identified functional areas internal to the CHPAC to support our programming and projects, and a strong and coherent Percent for Art Ordinance and Public Art Fund, it seems unnecessary for us to recreate any of these organizational structures and policies within the context of this master planning process.

In an effort to determine an estimated range of cost for our Strategic Master Plan, the goal of which is a level of design appropriate to fit into the Town's Comprehensive Plan, I will be contacting several planning consultants to learn more accurately how much we could anticipate to spend to develop a set of drawings and plans that will overlay existing Town master plans and action plans, accompanied by written recommendations and analyses of sufficient detail to be implemented through a CIP budgeting process.  I will also inquire regarding ways to phase this work over 18 months.

The Executive Committee has also given me permission to initiate the next steps toward submitting a $5000 Creating Places grant to the North Carolina Arts Council.  In speaking with the NCAC, our application would be stronger if their support was an integral part of the complete master planning effort.  To this end, I have organized an initial meeting to discuss the goals for this undertaking and the priorities of other Town Boards and Commissions.  In addition to these representatives I have invited others who have expressed an interest in the design and execution of this master plan.

We are scheduled to meet on Tuesday 8 February from 5:3opm - 6:3opm in the first floor conference room at Town Hall.  I hope those of you who interested and able to make this date and time, can join us for this meeting.  In the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions at all.

Warm wishes

Janet

  • [Chpac-staff] Public Art Strategic Master Plan, Janet Kagan, 01/22/2005