chpac-staff - [Chpac-staff] sample letter to Town Council

  • From: Andrew Ross <andrewwross AT earthlink.net>
  • To: chpac-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Chpac-staff] sample letter to Town Council
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:22:58 -0500

Hello fellow CHPACers. I thought I would take the initiative to send out to all of you the email I am planning to send to the mayor and Town Council members. I'm not proposing this as our "official stance", nor as a statement for all of us -- I hope each one of you will express these same feelings in your own words. We need to show this solidarity in our request, because we are making a rather big request that will almost surely not be in the Manager's recommendation.

So read on if you want an idea of what you could write. And please take a moment to send your plea for full support of the CHPAC to Town Council.

Andrew

Dear Mr. Mayor and Town Council Members.

I wanted to thank you for the outstanding support you have shown for public art and the programs of the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission. I hope you have been as pleased as we have with the wonderful accomplishments and changes we have been able to bring about in Chapel Hill in the past few years. The dedication of Firehouse #5 was that much more special for in addition honoring the artwork created for this location as the first Percent for Art artwork in Chapel Hill. Our Self Portrait Project has garnered an overwhelming community response as well as great press coverage for Chapel Hill and its vibrancy in our various newspapers (with more attention to surely come with the opening of the show on April 1). And our collaborations with Orange County for the upcoming Percent for Art projects at the Aquatics Center and Southern Community Park have demonstrated how well our various communities can join together in artistic endeavors.

But there is one more less-obvious accomplishment that is just as noteworthy. In this month's Carolina Alumni Review magazine, public art has shown itself to be part of a renewed identity for Chapel Hill. This issue has a photo of the Arlene Slavin-designed Street Scape benches on its back cover. Yet this photo does not go along with an article about public art, nor the Town's Percent for Art ordinance, nor the Public Arts Commission's activities. Instead, it connects to an article about downtown revitalization. This public artwork is shown as part of that revitalization as well as a representation of what Franklin Street means to this community. It is this transparency that shows how much more meaning public art can have in our town -- by providing identity and unity, on top of aesthetic beauty.

Please celebrate with us all of these wonderful programs and help us in continuing and strengthening them into the future. The Public Arts Commission has asked you for a significant increase in our funding support from the Town. We hope you agree with us that this additional money is well-deserved and will be well spent. Our commission is a very active one, and with the addition of a second full-time staff person there's no telling what we might be able to accomplish for Chapel Hill.

Respectfully,
Andrew Ross
co-chair to the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission
Andrew Ross Photography & Video
home: 919.929.9684
mobile: 919.260.7537
www.andrewross.com

  • [Chpac-staff] sample letter to Town Council, Andrew Ross, 03/25/2004