ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: ROER4D Findings on Creative Commons knowledge and use

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Simeon Oriko <simeon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccAfrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: ROER4D Findings on Creative Commons knowledge and use
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 22:19:53 +0300

Hi all,

This may be of interest to many of you.

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko

Network Manager, Creative Commons

Invest in an open future. Support Creative Commons today: http://bit.ly/19IjSKl

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Cheryl Hodgkinson-Williams <cheryl.hodgkinson-williams AT uct.ac.za>
Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:06 PM
To: simeon AT creativecommons.org <simeon AT creativecommons.org>
Cc: Michelle Willmers <michelle.willmers AT uct.ac.za>

Dear Simon

Cable Green suggested that I be in contact with you to share some of the data that our Research on Open Educational Resources for Development (ROER4D) assembled in the course of our studies across South America, Sub-Sarahan Africa and Asia. One specific question around open licensing reveals the comparative rarity of instructors in the Global South  formally sharing teaching materials under an open licence (such as Creative Commons). Details are to be found on pages 105-108 in the chapter by de Olivera Neto, Pete, Daryono and Cartmill (2017) attached here for your convenience. The entire edited volume is freely downloadable from: http://www.africanminds.co.za/dd-product/adoption-and-impact-of-oer-in-the-global-south/

An extract from the chapter highlights key points:

“The figure shows that in seven of the nine countries – including all sites in South America – the majority of instructors stated that they had never applied any type of licence to their teaching materials for sharing purposes. This suggests that they either have typically not shared their teaching materials with other instructors or, if they have done so, they have done it informally, perhaps with colleagues in their own departments. This question illuminates the comparative rarity of instructors formally sharing teaching materials under legal open licensing provisions in the Global South. While 23% of instructors have shared their materials with a CC licence, GNU GPL licence or “other open content licences” (n = 67),3 the majority (77%) revealed that they had either not applied any open licence to their materials (n = 228), meaning that they had not applied any type of licence to their materials (n = 162), or that they retained full copyright on their work, implying that the materials were not open (n = 66).” (de Olivera Neto, et. Al. 2017, p.105-106)

Reference

de Oliveira Neto, J. D., Pete, J., Daryono & Cartmill, T. (2017). OER use in the Global South: A baseline survey of higher education instructors. In C. Hodgkinson-Williams & P. B. Arinto (Eds.), Adoption and impact of OER in the Global South (pp. 69–118).

If you would like any further details I would be happy to provide these!

Warm regards

Cheryl

Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.