ccafrica - [ccAfrica] CC Africa Post Summit Commitments

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Simeon Oriko <simeon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccAfrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] CC Africa Post Summit Commitments
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 21:32:04 +0300

Greetings CC Africa friends!

For years, we've shown interest in working on CC related projects at a continental level in Africa.

On the sideline of the recent Global Summit in Toronto, Canada, attendees from Africa met and had a discussion and agreed on projects that we hope to work on and complete by December 2018. These projects will be in 4 categories:
  • Policy (specifically targeted at the African Union) - led by Elizabeth Oyange (Kenya), Seble Baraki (Ethiopia)
  • Open Education Resources - led by Aristarik Maro (Tanzania), Hildah Nyakwaka (Kenya)
  • Arts and Culture - led by Mohamed Rahmo (Morocco), Asma Al-Amin (Kenya)
  • Open Access - Led by Kamel Belhamel (Algeria), Hellen Chuma-Okoro (Nigeria)
In addition to these, Raphael Berchie (Ghana) and myself will help lead the creation of chapters across the continent. Uju Mollel (Tanzania, based in Edmonton, Canada) will coordinate the entire project.

You can review the meeting notes and sign up to join one of these projects (by adding your name under the projects) here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KMlNVSR5p0XV8z3T-erF4rb_r97_e5dS9vUT06o4Sis/edit?usp=sharing

In the coming weeks, we'll publish a blog post outlining our intention to carry out these projects on the CC blog.

If you're not already on, please join our CC Africa WhatsApp group here: https://chat.whatsapp.com/6xTiJOdHBbDJpY1S58SwaH. Most conversations are happening there.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer.

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko

Simeon Oriko
Network Manager, Creative Commons