ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Creative Commons Music Awards // Music Manumit

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: "Douglas A. Whitfield" <douglasawh AT gmail.com>
  • To: ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Creative Commons Music Awards // Music Manumit
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 14:06:26 -0600

Hi Africans!

Most importantly, I am contacting you on behalf of the Creative Commons Music Awards. This is the first year. Essentially, we are looking to be the CC Grammy's. Although most of the organizers are based in the USA, we'd love for this to be a more global event. The nominees are due from the judges on April 30, which means we have to act quickly to get music in front of judges. We're on facebook and twitter, but I won't give links to try to avoid the spam box. I'm happy to give direct links in a followup email. I'm also happy to go into more detail in a follow-up email, but given how quickly April 30 is approaching I wanted to get this email out sooner rather than later.

If anyone would like to help out in contacting the various country-level CC affiliates, please put your name beside the country at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B4ATgcZME6Avv6XmkF8vEJ6kCq93MuRrLCzFqyOc0gU/edit#gid=0 . Also, please contact me so I know who to follow up with if you put your name in there but forget to put "Yes" in the contacted box once you've done so.

Music Manumit
I also am half of the team at Music Manumit. We interview CC musicians on a weekly basis. If you are a CC Musician, feel free to book an interview at https://musicmanumit.youcanbook.me/service/jsps/cal.jsp?cal=a6831ad3-4ebd-4840-bd21-ce16c6eba470&ini=1520711898774&jumpDate=2018-06-17 -- Our interview time is terrible for the continent of Africa, but perhaps if you are traveling to east Asia/Australia or to the western hemisphere you could book a session. In the past we have interviewed netlabelists, but we try to keep it to musicians. If you run a netlabel or do something in the music community other than be a musician, please just ask me and I will check with Tom (the presenter) and we will make a decision on a case-by-case basis.

Please feel free to translate this into any language you feel would be useful. Arabic would be a huge help for sure, but also Swahili. To the extent you feel a license is necessary, I'll make the email CC BY. :)

Thank you,

Douglas A. Whitfield, M.S., J.D.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

  • [ccAfrica] Creative Commons Music Awards // Music Manumit, Douglas A. Whitfield, 03/10/2018