ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] Africa Regional Meeting at CC Global Summit

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Simeon Oriko <simeon AT jamlab.co.ke>
  • Cc: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] Africa Regional Meeting at CC Global Summit
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 09:34:21 +0200

Hi Simeon/ all:

yes, we are planning a regional meeting but the issue is funding right now. Hotels are only paid for until 18 October and we would like do such a meeting on 19 October. Alex and I will discuss this and revert back to you on Friday (or today still). In my opinion it would be a lost opportunity if we had no such meeting. As for the agenda, this can wait a bit longer and we will develop one collaboratively closer to the summit.

For those who are wondering where we are currently in the process of scholarships etc. As you can imagine, funding is very tight (flights to Seoul from Africa are expensive and Seoul itself isn’t cheap either) and CC HQ and we are still trying to find extra money. We are trying our utmost best to have at least one representative from each of our affiliate teams in Seoul. We are almost there. For strategic reasons, we would also have one or more delegates from other countries in Seoul - and right now we think about francophone Africa as we lack presence there. The first group of people has been notified about their success in applying for a scholarship; but if you haven’t that doesn’t mean you won’t get one. So please be patient even though I know that time is of the essence. And please let us know if you can come without financial support from CC or if you know about other funding opportunities.

Please let us know if you have any comments. Next week we will also get in touch with more information about programme and whatever else needs to be discussed.

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter