ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] Welcome to CC Ethiopia

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Simeon Oriko <simeon AT jamlab.co.ke>
  • To: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-staff <cc-staff AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org, CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, regional <regional AT creativecommons.org>, Seble Baraki <seblebaraki1 AT gmail.com>, Abel Asrat <abelasrat0 AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] Welcome to CC Ethiopia
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:20:54 +0300

Excited about this for days!

Welcome to the new crew!

Simeon Oriko | Co-Founder & Executive Director

Web: www.jamlab.co.ke | Twitter: @JamlabHQ

Cell: +254 724 892 941 | Skype: simeonoriko

On Apr 23, 2015, at 13:17, Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org> wrote:

Dear all:

2015 has been a busy year so far and in all the hustle and bustle we never got to properly welcome a new affiliate team to the CC family: CC Ethiopia.

With an already strong presence of CC in East Africa - with vibrant teams in Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania - we now also have a foothold in the most populous landlocked country in the world and the second-most populated country in Africa (ca. 90 million).

The new CC Ethiopia will by led by:
  • AISEC Ethiopia (Community Building / Public Lead)
  • Intellectual Property Professionals Society (Legal Lead)
  • Fasika Minda: Technology Lead (with the view of transferring the roles and responsibilities to the Computer science department at Addis Ababa University Arat Kilo Campus at a later stage)

Our key contacts in Ethiopia are Seble G. Baraki, Abel Asrat and Fasika Minda. At the end of 2014 Seble already visited the team in neighbouring Kenya to witness first hand how a successful team can work.

It is the team’s believe that copyright licenses and tools offered by Creative Commons are essential in ultimately augmenting Ethiopia’s cultural industry and educational sector. Currently, a stricter and more restrictive copyright system is in the air which is going to affect the free flow of information and culture in the country. CC Ethiopia wishes to contribute to an appropriate and conducive copyright system in the country. Ehtiopia is also a multinlingual country, so we are also looking forward to some translations of our deeds in the near future - probably first in Amharic.

We are excited to have CC Ethiopia onboard. Please do join us in welcoming the new team to CC.

Tobias & Alex
(Regional Co-ordinators for Africa)

---

Dr. Tobias Schonwetter