ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] CC closing Mountain View, California office​

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: "Tobias Schonwetter" <tobiasschonwetter AT gmail.com>
  • To: "CC Africa mailing list" <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] CC closing Mountain View, California office​
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 02:33:59 -0700 (PDT)

For those who haven't seen this...

Sent from Mailbox

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ryan Merkley | Creative Commons <ryan AT creativecommons.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM
To: "cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Dear CC affiliate network,

I am writing to let you know that we’ll be closing the Mountain View CC
office, effective this Friday, October 3. I’ve included an announcement
that we’ll be posting on the CC website on Friday at the end of this e-mail.

For most of the people on this list, the announcement will have very
little impact on your work. The same team will continue to operate as
usual; we’ll still have a permanent address and phone number.

In fact, it won’t be a very big change for most of the staff either.
Although we have a group of staff that work in the Bay Area (San Jose,
Mountain View, San Francisco, Oakland), many of us are spread across the
US and Canada. For the past few months, the Mountain View office has
been under-used, as the Bay Area staff have done their work at home and
at improvised meeting spaces. I would rather use those resources to work
more effectively as a global remote-working organization.

We’re becoming more global, and that’s in large part thanks to you, as
the CC affiliate network. Yes, it’s important to be able to spend time
face-to-face as a team, but it’s just as important to spend time
embedded in the communities in which Creative Commons works. Our
distributed team isn’t a secret; its one of our best assets as an
organization.

Feel free to reply if you have any questions, or contact me directly.

Regards,
Ryan

=== blog post ===

Creative Commons goes (even more) virtual

[staff photo:
http://creativecommons.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/staffphoto_edited-1.jpg]

I’m writing to announce that Creative Commons is closing its office in
Mountain View, CA.
For most people reading this, the news will hardly come as a surprise.
We’ve always been a virtual organization. Although we have a group of
staff in the Bay Area, we have full­-time staff in six US states and two
Canadian provinces, not to mention the regional coordinators and
affiliates all over the world.

The photo above was taken a few weeks ago, at the August CC Salon event
in San Francisco. There are a few people missing, but I still love it
because it’s the closest thing we’ve had to a complete staff photo since
I’ve been with Creative Commons. It’s also a reminder that we’re a
diverse, global organization.

Being a distributed team lets us spend more time interacting with the
people who use Creative Commons tools and share our mission. We’re
embedded in communities of hackers, lawyers, artists, and social change
activists, all communities that our mission relies upon.

See our Contact page for updated contact information. If you have any
questions about the change, feel free to drop us a line.

--

Ryan Merkley
CEO, Creative Commons

+1 416.802.0662