ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] introducing CC's next CEO

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] introducing CC's next CEO
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 15:47:57 +0200

Dear colleagues:

I am sure you are interested in the news below.

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter
linkedin:

Please support CC in shaping the future of sharing: https://creativecommons.net/donate/

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Brest <pbrest AT law.stanford.edu>
Subject: [cc-affiliates] introducing CC's next CEO
Date: 14 May 2014 at 15:38:56 PM SAST
Cc: Ryan Merkley <ryan AT merkley.ca>

Dear friends and CC affiliates,

After an extensive search, the Creative Commons Board of Directors has approved Ryan Merkley as our new Chief Executive Officer. He’ll start work on June 1, and I’m looking forward to an opportunity to introduce you to him. Creative Commons will be publicly announcing this news later today, May 14.

Ryan joins us after a career working to advance social causes and public policy in nonprofits and government. As COO at the Mozilla Foundation, Ryan contributed to the development of Mozilla products and programs, and also established Mozilla’s successful individual fundraising program, which raised $1.8M from over 44,000 new donors during his tenure . His past work also included Managing Director and Senior Vice President of Public Affairs at Vision Critical, and Senior Advisor to Mayor David Miller in Toronto, where he initiated Toronto’s open data project. He was also seconded to the City of Vancouver as Director of Corporate Communications for the 2010 Winter Games.

Much has changed on the web and in the commons since we began our work over a decade ago. As the web has become more stratified in a world of apps, and as new laws and court decisions stand to dramatically extend terms of copyright and further restrict the ability of creators of art, culture, and knowledge to share their work, our role has never been more important.

Those who believe in the value of the commons need to join together in a movement that supports collaboration, sharing, and innovation. Even more than at CC’s inception, we need to make the case for the value and potential of a public commons. For us, that means supporting, inspiring and connecting the various communities that build the commons — from open education, to science, to film and photography — and working to provide tools, solutions, and policy on their behalf.

This is the broad outline of a vision that Ryan expressed to the board during his candidacy. It fit well with our own vision, and we are excited to work with Ryan to realize it. Over the coming months I am sure you will be seeing and hearing from Ryan as we carry out the work of the CC movement. Ryan is particularly excited to meet all of you, hear your plans and strategies to support our mission, and share his views and plans for our organization.

Ryan will be splitting his time as CEO between his hometown in Toronto, Canada, and the Bay Area. He will be on the move frequently, which I believe will mean increased opportunities to connect with CC affiliates around the world.

Later today, Creative Commons will also be sharing blog posts from Ryan, Larry Lessig, and me. In the next few days you’ll be hearing from Creative Commons about an opportunity to meet with Ryan and share your questions and ideas.

Once again, the board would like to voice our appreciation for the work of outgoing CEO Cathy Casserly. She substantially advanced CC’s mission over the past three years. Under Cathy’s leadership, Creative Commons helped numerous governments around the world adopt open education policies, and we saw considerable growth and engagement in the CC Affiliate Network.

 And now, please join me in welcoming Ryan to the Creative Commons community.

Sincerely,

Paul Brest

Board Chair, Creative Commons