ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [bestbits] EU rejects international solution to library and archive copyright problems; causes collapse of WIPO meeting

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji AT gmail.com>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Open Educational Resources - an online discussion forum <oer-forum AT lists.esn.org.za>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [bestbits] EU rejects international solution to library and archive copyright problems; causes collapse of WIPO meeting
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 11:49:26 +0100

Thought this could be of interest

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stuart Hamilton <Stuart.Hamilton AT ifla.org>
Date: Thu, May 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Dear Colleagues

I thought you might be interested in some of the problems libraries and archives experienced at the World Intellectual Property Organisation last week regarding access to digital content. It was quite a scene.

http://www.ifla.org/node/8600

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Another document was also introduced by the US at this meeting which talks about how licensing is a principle of access to educational resources. For those of us who work in education/academia, I would suggest that there is a fair bit to worry about in this document. I'd be happy to share it as soon as I get an electronic copy.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart Hamilton
Director of Policy and Advocacy
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague
Netherlands

00 31 70 314 0884