ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] Uganda's Industrial Property Act --Signed by President

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Primah Kwagala <kwagalap AT gmail.com>
  • To: "IP REGIONAL STRATEGIC GROUP." <ip-regional-strategic-group AT googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] Uganda's Industrial Property Act --Signed by President
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:29:14 +0300

Dear Friends,

It is a Happy New year from the Team at Cehurd to you all.

As expected and predicted by some of you, the Industrial Property Bill that was passed last year <22nd August 2013>, has been signed into Law by the President this week. (6/Jan/2014) -- See attached a partial scanned copy of the Assent copy FYI.

The Act dis indeed incorporate the provisions we advocate like the elimination of criminal sanctions for patent infringement, included model provisions on TRIPS Waivers on pharmaceuticals, patentability criteria for the case of Novelty steps -left to persons highly skilled in the art to determine Newness of an invention among many other good provisions.

This is a good step in the right direction and i congratulate everyone who supported the process upon this achievement. We'll now embark on supporting relevant authorities to make good regulations to make the law functional.

We are still following up on the processes for the Anti-counterfeit Bill, the Indigenous and Complimentary Medicines Bill among other laws that are directly affecting health and human rights in our country.

<Should you need a copy of the complete IP Act, please feel free to come make a copy from CEHURD that is NOW Located on Plot 833 Old Kira Road, Ntinda -Ssebowa Zone. -3minutes drive from UGANET/HURINET Offices>

Alluta Continua!!!

Primah

--
Primah kwagala
Centre for Health Human Rights and Development *(CEHURD)

  • Re: [ccAfrica] Uganda's Industrial Property Act --Signed by President, Primah Kwagala, 01/10/2014