ccafrica - [ccAfrica] CC Toolkit Creation

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Billy Meinke <billy.meinke AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] CC Toolkit Creation
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 15:49:05 +0200

Dear colleagues:

CC HQ recently launching the second stage of the CC Toolkits Project, and is now seeking volunteer experts to help craft toolkits about the importance of CC in:

  • Education
  • Science / Data
  • Government
  • Creative Industries
  • Culture
  • + more

I know from previous discussions with some of you that the idea of having toolkits is a good one, particularly in Africa, where we still have to explain a lot to our key stakeholders.

Here is some more background:

What are the toolkits? The toolkits are bundles of digital and print-ready content (narratives, faqs, videos, presentation slides) that will help make it easy to tell others about the importance of Creative Commons and the CC licenses. CC HQ has already put together a template for the toolkits, which will make it easy to create and share the materials. What they need from us is content.

These toolkits are going to be one of CC’s most high profile projects for 2014. They will be seen by many people, translated into multiple languages, and shared throughout our community.

How can you be involved?  There are three ways you can get involved:

1) Volunteer to help build a toolkit - If you’re interested in CC and education, science, government etc, this will be an opportunity for you to meet other affiliates working on the same topic. Importantly, those helping on toolkits will also have travel and event funding to support their work (see below). You can express your interest in the toolkit working groups by filling out the CC Toolkits Volunteering form.

2) Run a hackathon or workshop - We have set aside funding (up to $2500US per working group) to help people to organise and run a:
  • Sprint to build a toolkit!  Run a content hackathon to find content and build a toolkit; or
  • Workshop to present a toolkit!  Share a toolkit through a presentation or other showcase opportunity.

Is there a conference or summit that you want to attend?  Go run a sprint or present your group’s toolkit there!  Funding can cover costs for things such as travel, materials, and entrance fees for events.  Proposals must be for a toolkit on a specific topic and include a project lead who will coordinate the event. More information on what is involved is on the CC Toolkits Proposal Form (call for leads).

3) Suggest a resource for a toolkit - Do you, for instance, know of a short video that can explain what CC is to your friends?  CC is collecting these and other resources on the CC Wiki Documentation page.

When is this happening?  Volunteers and event proposals will be accepted until 15 November.  Groups (5-7 members) who are chosen to run an event will be required to submit a complete draft of the content for their toolkit by the end of January 2014. For more information, see cctoolkits.com/timeline.

Please pass this on to others in your CC Community - the more people we get working on the toolkits, the better they’ll be!

Let Alex and myself know if you are interested and we can guide you through the process if necessary.

Best,

Tobias

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter
linkedin:

Please support CC in shaping the future of sharing: https://creativecommons.net/donate/

  • [ccAfrica] CC Toolkit Creation, Tobias Schonwetter, 11/08/2013