ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] [ip-reg-strat-grp] Re: LDC TRIPS Extension Awarded!!

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: daniel libati <libatidaniel AT gmail.com>
  • To: ip-regional-strategic-group AT googlegroups.com
  • Cc: "ip-mentorship-cehurd-group AT googlegroups.com" <ip-mentorship-cehurd-group AT googlegroups.com>, "ucaem AT googlegroups.com" <ucaem AT googlegroups.com>, "hrda-at-cehurd AT googlegroups.com" <hrda-at-cehurd AT googlegroups.com>, "2013-cehurd-fellows-of-iphrts AT googlegroups.com" <2013-cehurd-fellows-of-iphrts AT googlegroups.com>, "ugandas-access-to-education-materials-strategy-group AT googlegroups.com" <ugandas-access-to-education-materials-strategy-group AT googlegroups.com>, petitionnumber16 <petitionnumber16 AT googlegroups.com>, cehurd <cehurd AT googlegroups.com>, "ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "cc-uganda AT googlegroups.com" <cc-uganda AT googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] [ip-reg-strat-grp] Re: LDC TRIPS Extension Awarded!!
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:25:12 +0100

Brilliant! Just brilliant!!!

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Anand Grover <anandgrover AT gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations to all who worked on this.
ANAND GROVER

Sent from the IPhone of ANAND GROVER

On 11-Jun-2013, at 9:16 PM, Primah Kwagala <kwagalap AT gmail.com> wrote:

Dear all,

I am writing to inform us that our efforts for an extension of the time within which to  Implement Oppressive Intellectual Property Rights has been extended for until 2021. (This is ideally 8yrs from today).

I would say we have worked tirelessly to put pressure on the US that was proposing 5yrs and the EU which proposed 7.5years with conditionalities not to roll back existing intellectual property laws and systems that would not favour access to essential commodities such as medicines, seed, education materials et al...

We can claim a partial win, we have an open extension for until 2021 and a possibility to extend even further if no progress has been achieved by then. The Language is also open to amending our current existing IP laws as opposed to what the EU was suggesting see draft text of the decision that was released this Afternoon in Geneva here http://www.cehurd.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/06/Draft-TRIPS-Decision.pdf [Also attached FYA]

I would like to applaud your unrelentless support for the urgent and improtu action when called upon even on short notice to Act. You never gave up in participating in press activities, pushing Legislators to come up with a position statement, writing to EU, naming/shaming bullying negotiators and writing to these negotiators to cease pressuring LDC Negotiators ~ I can affirm that our efforts have been applauded and appreciated by all of our representative negotiators to the TRIPS Council.

We should also pick this as a lesson to our next extension for pharmaceutical products which is expiring in 2016. This time we should start our advocacy early
 if we are indeed to get a more meaningful time extension.

On behalf of the co-ordination team here at CEHURD allow me to thank you very very much. THANK YOU ALL, ASANTE SANA, MERCI BEACOUP :))

Alluta continua

CEHURD in partnership  with Health Gap have also issued a press release for media. It is available on our website. See http://www.cehurd.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/06/FOR-IMMEDIATE-RELEASE.pdf

Regards,
Primah Kwagala
Centre for Health Human Rights and Development *(CEHURD)
kwagalap AT gmail.com
0774207358
"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for "
Kofi Annan

<Draft TRIPS Decision.pdf>
<FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.pdf>