ccafrica - [ccAfrica] CC 4.0 update

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] CC 4.0 update
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:06:03 +0200

Dear ccAfrica:

CC HQ needs our help with one issue that came up during the drafting process for CC 4.0. It is a bit complicated but I will try to summarise the discussion:

The 4.0 license drafts highlight that rights in a licensed work may exist that are not addressed by our license; yet, these rights may actually be necessary for users (licensees) to use the work as intended. In general, the default "disclaimer of warranties" in our licences currently places associated risk on licensees (not the licensor). This means the licensee needs to make sure that there are no such other rights when using a CC-licensed work. Some within the CC community, however, indicated that they preferred (a) placing the risk on the licensor or (b) (at least) requiring licensors to document known third-party rights more clearly. A third option is to deal with this issue outside the actual licences (e.g. by developing best practice documents).

Now, if this is a topic that interests you or that is of concern in your country, please have a look at the wiki discussion page:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Disclaimer_of_warranties_and_related_issues.

You can post your comments on that site or get in touch with me or Diane (diane AT creativecommons.org) at CC HQ directly who drives this process. Engaging in these discussions is a great way of shaping the final licences which we are probably going to use for many years to come.

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

Like what we do? Please donate to
https://creativecommons.net/donate

  • [ccAfrica] CC 4.0 update, Tobias Schonwetter, 10/09/2012