cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] [Fwd: Welsh translation of Creative Commons licences]

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT twitchgamer.net>
  • To: Carl Morris <carl AT quixoticquisling.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] [Fwd: Welsh translation of Creative Commons licences]
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:43:32 +0200

Hi Carl

On 29 Sep 2010, at 02:58, Carl Morris wrote:

> (Re-posting my query to cc-licenses list. It was originally posted to cc-uk
> but no reply as yet. I hope I'm going about this the right way. Thanks.)

Don't know if you've had a response yet, but as I understand it there is a
new set of UK wide CC licences about to be available for public comment. So
this would be a fully integrated licence for the UK (and would be up to date
with the main CC licenses). I'd wait to translate until that license is out.

> 2. I would like to do it properly and enable them to be legally binding
> in their own right. I assume Creative Commons would like to verify them
> somehow before endorsing them - what usually happens with translations
> like this? They would be direct translations of the England&Wales licences.

I'm not sure if in this context it'd be best to have the licenses be directly
legally binding on their own -- might being a translation and the
English-language version being the binding document be a better approach?
Copyright isn't a devolved area within the UK and if it went to enforcement,
the IP judges and court proceedings would all be in English wouldn't it?
Others on these lists will know better than I about this aspect of law in
England & Wales so just thinking aloud.

Thanks

~Jordan