cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC music

  • From: "Neil Leyton" <nleyton AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Patrick Haour" <patrick AT jamendo.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC music
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:28:10 +0100

Patrick,

The incompatibility between collection agencies and CC is fabricated solely by part of the collection agencies, in the wording of their (far-reaching) appropriation of rights from the creator.

There is no incompatibility in practice. Ie. if you use CC you are making some allowances for people to use your work and you have full rights to do so, regardless of what collection agencies might say, do, or wish. It's your work. Their collection practices remain totally unaffected by your use of CC, especially the Nc license. I know several examples of collection rights societies members (and not just in Canada) who have used CC and continue to be members, and get paid accordingly.

So don't let their scare tactics fool you, and go ahead and use CC if you like - sooner or later they'll come around, once enough members are using CC.