cc-uk - [Cc-uk] CC-UK, where it's at and where it's going - OKCon

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT twitchgamer.net>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] CC-UK, where it's at and where it's going - OKCon
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:14:45 +0000

Hi everyone,

Except for the occasional announcement of a CC related project or event, not much has been happening on this list. I proposed a small discussion about CC-UK, where it's at and where it is going at OKCon for this Saturday:

<http://okfn.org/wiki/okcon2008/Open_Space#head- d2d92f2bd2f828b7e9d2ecc48bae9f647dc0e356>

In it, I was hoping that we could start a conversation about a sustainable structure for a CC-UK, or (as a prior question) if there is any interest in having a more formal structure for CC-UK at present.

I've done some work on CC and related open content licences, and am currently working on open data licences and legal tools at http:// opendatacommons.org. In my capacity as a researcher, I did a survey of use of open content licences and the cultural heritage sector in the UK in 2007. All of this is a short background to the following comment:

I think that quite a few people have the (mis)conception that CC-UK is a "chapter" of Creative Commons and so shares in money and organisational structure with the "parent" org. This is not so.

As a useful first step to figuring out what interest there is in CC in the UK and CC-UK as an org, I've asked Prodomos to speak about the relationship between the jurisdiction specific orgs and the parent CC- UK in the law and licensing panel at OKCon. It'll be short (maybe 15 minutes), and is really about starting a conversation on all of this stuff.

Please feel free to send me comments offlist or to respond here.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007

  • [Cc-uk] CC-UK, where it's at and where it's going - OKCon, Jordan S Hatcher, 03/10/2008