cc-uk - [Cc-uk] New Science Commons protocol and Open Data Commons

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT twitchgamer.net>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] New Science Commons protocol and Open Data Commons
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:21:17 +0000

FYI for those that haven't checked the CC feeds....

A new protocol for open data has been announced by Science Commons, with which the new CC Zero licence will comply.

The Creative Commons announcement is here:
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7917>

The new implementation of the protocol is CCZero
<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Cczero>

Science Commons Protocol
<http://sciencecommons.org/projects/publishing/open-access-data- protocol/>

The announcement on the Science Commons blog
<http://sciencecommons.org/weblog/archives/2007/12/16/announcing- protocol-for-oa-data/>

The Open Data Commons project, with the support of Talis, has also developed a legal tool that complies with the protocol that is available for comment. The goal of the Open Data Commons legal tool is to be fully compatible with CC Zero.

The new home for the project is:
<http://opendatacommons.org>

There are two documents on which we would very much appreciate your comments:

Public Domain Dedication & Licence (PDDL)
<http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and- licence/>

Community Norms
<http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-community-norms/>

Talis has put out a press release for the new legal tools here:
<http://www.talis.com/platform/news_and_events/index.shtml#no054>

We've created a FAQ for some of the initial questions here:
<http://www.opendatacommons.org/open-data-commons-faq/>.

A FAQ addressing some of the in-depth legal issues of the PDDL will be forthcoming.

Thanks!

~Jordan

Jordan S Hatcher

IT/IP blog http://twitchgamer.net

  • [Cc-uk] New Science Commons protocol and Open Data Commons, Jordan S Hatcher, 12/17/2007