cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Open Data Commons Database licence

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Open Data Commons Database licence
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:39:35 +0100

Apologies for cross posting
_____

I would like to announce the draft Open Data Commons Database
licence, created by myself and Dr. Waelde of the AHRC Research Centre for Intellectual Property and Technology law. Special thanks go to Talis for sponsoring the creation of this licence.
http://www.talis.com/

You can read more about their reasons for sponsoring its creation at Nodalities:
http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2007/09/ seeking_a_licence_for_open_dat.php

The Open Data Commons licence is an attempt at a worldwide licence for databases following in the footsteps of other open /free/libre licences in both software and content. In Creative Commons terms it is an SA licence.

The blog post announcing its release is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2007/09/24/open-data-commons-licence- now-out/
Or try: http://tinyurl.com/32ekh6

The homepage on my site for information related to the licence is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

The draft text of the licence itself is located here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-database-licence/

Because we separated out the Data from the Database in the licensing,
a supplemental BSD/MIT style licence for the data, intended for
factual information rather than other "contents of a database" is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-data-commons-factual- info-licence/

I've set up a discuss list specifically for the licence here:

Any comments or thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
<http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007>

"The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on Information Technology Based Business"
<http://ssrn.com/abstract=984864>

  • [Cc-uk] Open Data Commons Database licence, Jordan S Hatcher, 09/25/2007