cc-uk - [Cc-uk] bbc Bach/ creative archive - the long game

  • From: "Damian Tambini" <damian.tambini AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: "'Rob Myers'" <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] bbc Bach/ creative archive - the long game
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:11:04 -0000

I think this is a V important debate: note that the Creative Archive will be
subject to the new 'Public Value Test' under the new BBC Governance
arrangements. This is I believe under consultation with the BBC Governors

http://www.bbcgovernors.co.uk/haveyoursay/servicelicences.html

(Deadline for submissions to the consultation: 16th December)

The Public Value Test is a new procedure for reviewing BBC new services
(such as the CA) and giving the BBC permission to do them. The CA will be
the first or second service to be subject to it.

The CA will be well served by a test that is not broadcasting-oriented and
is broad. Market Impact Assessment should in the way Rob suggests clearly
weigh public value (societal loss) against impact on market, and should be
focused on THE IMPACT ON THE COMPETITIVENESS OF THE MARKET, rather than
merely on the impact on competitor services.

Damian