cc-uk - [Cc-uk] John Coffin memorial lecture on history of the book released under CC license

  • From: Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock AT okfn.org>
  • To: UK FreeCulture Discuss List <fc-uk-discuss AT lists.okfn.org>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] John Coffin memorial lecture on history of the book released under CC license
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 02:02:55 +0100

Dear All,

A while back I wrote about William St Clair's book: The Reading Nation in the Romantic period which presented in fascinating and painstaking detail the effect of copyright on access to knowledge in the 17th and 18th century (you can read summary at: http://drn.okfn.org/node/46). Unfortunately, and rather ironically, CUP were retailing it at £90.

However now a highly condensed version is available in the form of the second of the John Coffin Memorial lectures on the history of the book entitled “The Political Economy of Reading”. Even better it is available
under a Creative Commons license and I am reliably informed that this is the first time that such a license has been used by the University of London in their publications. The online version is here:

http://www.sas.ac.uk/ies/Publications/johncoffin/stclair.pdf

Regards,

Rufus Pollock

  • [Cc-uk] John Coffin memorial lecture on history of the book released under CC license, Rufus Pollock, 09/20/2005