cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] creative commons and sculpture

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] creative commons and sculpture
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:08:51 +0100
On 19 Sep 2005, at 23:56, Andrea Rota wrote:

To make a long story short: I'm trying to imagine how physical art
works, like sculptures, and CC licenses could be somehow connected in
order to use e.g. a sculpture contest as a promotion event for CC...

I know CC licenses do not apply to physical objects strictly speaking,
but I hope that somebody has lateral-thinking suggestions on this... :)

(I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.)

Sculptures are explicitly covered by the 1988 copyright act. So you get copyright on sculptures. The Creative Commons licenses are copyright licenses. So you can CC license a sculpture.

For permanent, public, outside sculpture, you can photograph/film/ draw the work without infringing copyright (is this still the case?). So presumably the license wouldn't cut in for a CC-licensed permanent public sculpture.

But if you have a CC-licenses sculpture in a gallery, or it is being displayed outside temporarily, and you draw or photograph it, the CC license cuts in.

Also, if you exhibit the preparatory sketches or maquettes for the sculpture under a sharealike CC license, recognisable derivatives of those works (ie new sculptures) would fall under the license.

Sculpture remixing could be cool. Assemblage is certainly a form of remixing.

- Rob.