cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Letter from MP

  • From: "David Hirst" <dhirst AT pavilion.co.uk>
  • To: <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Letter from MP
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 12:15:28 +0100

Since it is only "agreement to commission" this suggests they have not yet commissioned it, and the work is open for bidding. They may well not yet have issued any ITT.

They will naturally wish to keep the bid list closed and as small as possible, but this is probably the sort of study that they are obliged to publish in the European Journal, along with the criteria for short listing. The only easy way to escape this is to have the value too small to be useful. This should open opportunities for involvement. We may be too late for the bidding, but we will not be too late to demand contact with those doing the study, and any refusal would invalidate it.

It is possible that a proposal including broad interest groups as parties to the study should strengthen it. Do “academics” count as independent? It may be that the only parties who can approach independence on this are the heavyweight management consultants, but they too have axes to grind. Lawyers with any expertise on the subject cannot really be considered independent. Indeed, it may be that only the truly ignorant can genuinely claim independence. If that is the case, then a consortium of professionals across the “spectrum” might be a good answer.

Being professional in this case means being paid for the work.

It may also be worth approaching the RSA, who are completing their own study, and plan to report later this year. They may be able to act as a kernel for a proposal.

It may also be that the FSF would be able to co-ordinate.

Of course, a very good answer is for the report to be an “Open Source” project, with people working together to produce a version 1.0 for submission to the government. If the project articulates the proposed law (which is essentially code, although not automatically executable), this parallels are clear.

It would seem sensible to have pan-European involvement, and cc might also be a good organisation to co-ordinate this.

David Hirst

Mobile +44 7831 405443