cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Economist view on copyright [signed]

  • From: "Matthias Spielkamp [c]" <spielkamp AT autorenwerk.de>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Economist view on copyright [signed]
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:16:50 +0200

This is indeed interesting. But did you notice their rationale?

"Copyright was originally intended to encourage publication by granting
publishers a temporary monopoly on works so they could earn a return on
their investment."

This is, at least, debatable. It's the view that the US copyright (and
British copyright to a large extent as well) has always endorsed, but it
is not easily (if at all) compatible with the idea of moral rights.

As many on this list certainly know better than I do, there's no system
that has *either* copyright *or* moral rights alone; it's always a
combination of the two - more or less pronounced. So I find the
Economist's assertion a little too far-reaching to build their
subsequent argument on.

Matthias

--
Matthias Spielkamp | Berlin | Germany
Phone +49.30.42800307 | Fax +49.721.151513691 | Mobile +49.177.7602000

--
To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org.