cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Academic freedom at Reading

  • From: Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: Tom Chance <lists AT tomchance.org.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Academic freedom at Reading
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:56:33 +0100

Tom Chance wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> Following up on the discussion about academic freedom (I just subscribed
> hence
> a new message)...
>
> I met with Reading University's Technology Transfer Officer today to
> discuss
> the policy here. According to a new IP code of practice (that is basically
> complete but not yet on the web site), the University doesn't assert its
> rights to ownership of copyright on "books, textbooks, articles, lectures,
> plays and teaching aids in all formats not specifically commissioned by the
> University", and "generally assigns copyright to the inventor(s)".
>
> They do asserts rights over "films, typographical arrangements, video
> tapes,
> records, drawings, broadcasts, multi media productions, photographs or
> other
> works made with the aid of University facilities", "courseware, databases,
> computer software and firmware", "patentable and non-patentable inventions,
> plant varieties and related information", "any University commissioned
> works".

[snip]

> It'd
> also be interesting to know the opinion of the staff who are adversely
> affected by this... do all the computer scientists really not mind that
> their
> software is owned by the University, but that philosophers get to keep the
> rights to their work? :o)

Most of the software I'm aware of that is created in computer
science departments is a teaching aid not specifically commissioned
by the University (in particular this could cover pretty much
everything co-authored by an academic and a postgraduate as part of
their enrolment) or has important parts published in books, articles
or lectures.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
OSS Watch http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/