cc-uk - [Cc-uk] the censorship machine

  • From: Christian Ahlert <christian.ahlert AT oii.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] the censorship machine
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:02:41 +0100

For all of you who wonder why we actually need to worry about Digital Restriction Management (DRM) here is more to worry about. The US is passing a new copyright law.

See David Pogues post in NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/technology/poguesposts/index.html

Buying a Censorship Box?

<x-tad-bigger>By DAVID POGUE

</x-tad-bigger> Remember my review of the ClearPlay DVD player, which automatically snips out bad language, violence and references to God?

It was challenged by a horde of furious filmmakers and Hollywood studios—in court. Looks like they lost; the House of Representatives approved the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005, which makes it legal for companies like ClearPlay to do what they're doing.

As Engadget further notes, however: "The bill also makes it a federal crime to use a video camera to record films in movie theaters...and sets a penalty of up to ten years in prison for sharing a movie or a song prior to its commercial release. We’ve got no beef with the ClearPlay-enabling part of the legislation (for the most part), since people should be able to do what they want with a DVD they’ve bought and paid for, but that was really just a smokescreen to railroad the rest of the bill, which may as well have been written by the MPAA and RIAA's lobbyists. The bill now heads to President Bush, who is expected to sign it into law."