cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Revised draft Scottish licence

  • From: David Illsley <david AT illsley.org>
  • To: Jonathan Mitchell <website3 AT jonathanmitchell.info>
  • Cc: Creative Commons UK <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Revised draft Scottish licence
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:14:26 +0100

Glad to see progress...
Its been good to see the Creative Archive launched, and I'm glad the compatibility has been removed.

On re-reading this I'm still unclear about the interactions between 2.1.i and 2.3 - If I'm distributing a derivative work under a future version of the licence or another CC licence with the same elements, am I still supposed to keep a link which misrepresents the licensing situation? (EW Is wordier and limits this requirement to 'any Work and Collective Work you publish...')

Hmm, 2.3 seems to be my pet clause... If the same clause were used for a simple BY-SA licence, the way I read the clause would allow me to distribute a derivative work under BY-SA-NC (As it would have the licence elements required plus one extra). The EW licences seem to say 'same' which removes any ambiguity (if in fact it exists).

The 2 above points may theoretically be resolved by 6.6 but I think with regard to the first one in particular it is important that the licence is clear to people not wishing to delve further than one set of legal code

I'm not a major fan of 6.2 'cos it might allow an employee who downloads a CC file that a company has licensed separately e.g. for commercial use to 'replace' a commercial licence. I can see why something like it is required, and I know issues like this exist within the software industry and the solution is just to tell employees not to download software from external sites but that is not conducive to building a commons. I don't know how real this problem is, and even worse I don't have any suggestions to make it better.

David