cc-uk - SV: [Cc-uk] A number of updating drafting points

  • From: Prodromos Tsiavos <prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: SV: [Cc-uk] A number of updating drafting points
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:01:15 +0100 (BST)

A few comments on various points raised the last couple of weeks:

A. Congradulations to the CC-SC for the launch event! I would also like to
thank the CC-Scotland group and Jonathan in particular for all the
contributions they have made (and are still making) to the drafting of the CC-
EW licences. We have incoroporated all the suggestions made after consulting
with the Berlin/ Stanford people regarding the compatibility issues with the
other national iCC licences. We are also explicitly reserving moral rights
following the same model as the CC- Scotland licences but we were reluctant
include new definitions as that would make the CC-EW licences have a differnt
look and feel from the generic CC licences. The Berlin people were very keen
into having the licences look as close to each other as possible. Jonathan,
did
you have any input from Berlin/ California regarding the extra definitions
(e.g. Person, Use or Publish) in CC-SC?

B. Regarding the status of the CC-EW licences: we are done with the proof
reading and now the final changes as discussed are included for the licences
be made available on the CC web site.

C. In the process of porting the licences we identifed a number of issues
that
need to be addressed in a more international level. For instance, I still
believe that there is an issue with the way moral rights are handled in
different licences and the concept of ShareAlike and NonCommercial need to be
clarified. The definition of the NonCommercial in particular is possibly the
most sensitive element in the licences and it has been an issue of extensive
debate with the BBC as well.

D. Regarding the BBC licence: I have not seen any recent draft either.
Hoewever, the main differences between CC-EW and the BBC Creative Archive
licence draft that we have lastly seen were three:
1. BBC-CA is a UK rather than worldwide licence
2. The BBC-CA NonCommercial definition is narrower than that of the CC
licences
(e.g. it does not allow political use of the BBC CA licensed work or any
indirect commercial benefit)
3. It contains an extra Licence Element, i.e. NonEndorsement stipulating that
the BBC does not endorse any of the modified material as its own.
These different characteristics and particularly the first two make
interoperability between classic CC licences and the BBC-CA licences very
problematic as it has been already discussed in this list. This is why we
removed the wording in clause 2.3 that allowed derivative works to be
licensed
under a BBC licence ("2.3. Each time You Publish a Derivative Work, You must
offer to the recipient a licence to the Derivative Work which must be either
one with the same terms and conditions as this Licence, or a later version of
this Licence with the Licence Elements of this Licence, or another Creative
Commons licence with the Licence Elements of this Licence, or the BBC
Creative
Archive general public licence."). This could cause serious compromises in
the
character of the licences and would essentially dilute the nature of the CC
licences, as lots of people in the list have indicated in the past. Dual
licensing seem to me the best option for the time being and hopefully BBC in
the future will opt for a pure CC licence. Jonathan, how are you thinking of
handling this issue in CC-SC?

E. It would be really great if a CC-NI was to be created. Does anyone in the
list have any ideas about who would be an appropriate person in N. Ireland to
contact? I was thinking of Professor Philip Leith but have not contacted him
as
yet. Once all the CC-UK licences are completed we should perhaps have some
kind
of event where we all get to meet each other in person ;-) Any ideas?

best
Prodromos