cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Lessig in Scotland (part of the UK!)

  • From: David Illsley <david AT illsley.org>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Lessig in Scotland (part of the UK!)
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:08:06 +0100

I'd have to agree it was an excellent presentation, and it is a happy thing that CC-Scotland was launched.

I also understand the Moral Rights issue wrt CC properly for the first time (IANAL). Having reviewed the CC-Scotland draft (from creativecommons.org), I'm really happy how readable it is, and my one query is about clause 2.3.
It appears to allow licensing of derivative works under the same conditions but using one of the other 'ported' licenses which seems to make sense to allow people in other countries to release their works under an appropriate licence... is this the intention?
It also allows licensing of derivative works under the BBC CA license, and while I don't have a copy of the drafts that have been mailed the list to hand, from memory it is more restrictive and not under the control of CC. This therefore seems to be a strange property of a share-alike licence, which effectively allows the BBC more rights over a CC SA licensed work than any other person/body on the planet (especially if the portability I've mentioned above exists in all the CC licences). This BBC thing doesn't seem to be in the CC-EW drafts mentioned recently at http://users.ox.ac.uk/~inet0009/creative_commons/

Other than that, I'm excited by the progress being made and the existence of CC-Scotland,
David Illsley