cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] About Chesterton and public domain

  • From: "Andres Guadamuz" <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: "'Miquel Vidal'" <miquel AT barrapunto.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] About Chesterton and public domain
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:26:18 +0100

Miguel,

I agree with Jonathan Mitchell that this is a matter for Spanish copyright
law. As such, you can find the Spanish "Ley de propiedad intelectual" here:
http://civil.udg.es/normacivil/estatal/reals/Lpi.html

The harmonisation of copyright law was implemented in Spain through Ley
27/1995, October 1995; and it was incorporated into the existing copyright
legislation. You will find that the transitory provisions for the Spanish
law are exactly the same as those for the UK, because both must comply with
Art. 10(2) of the Directive 93/98/EEC (the copyright extension directive).
The Transitory provision 13 in the Spanish law reads:

"2. Los plazos de protección contemplados en esta Ley se aplicarán a todas
las obras y prestaciones que estén protegidas en España o al menos en un
Estado miembro de la Unión Europea el 1 de julio de 1995 en virtud de las
correspondientes disposiciones nacionales en materia de derechos de
propiedad intelectual [...]"

This provision is quite clear. If the work was under copyright protection
anywhere in the EU before July 1, 1995, then the copyright will be revived.
Because Germany had 70 years protection, then it should be assumed that
Chesterton's copyright has been revived. Sorry about that, but the agent is
unfortunately right.

I had another question. Even if the work was in the public domain, how can
it be justified to distribute it with an
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike licence? I am trying to get my head
around that one, but I cannot see the reason for it.

Saludos,

Andrés Guadamuz
AHRB Research Centre for Studies in
Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Old College, South Bridge
Edinburgh EH8 9YL

Tel: 44 (0)131 6509699
Fax: 44 (0)131 6506317