cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] WG: Comments from Lord Justice Jacob

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: christiane AT creativecommons.org
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] WG: Comments from Lord Justice Jacob
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:29:39 +0100

a) Yes, this is confusing. Please can the American wording be used?
b) If a license is to be readable by non-lawyers, it *should* note that it
doesn't affect other rights or responsibilities. I really would like to see a
"paternity right" assertion in the license.
c) Has this been changed since m'learned friend read it?:
"3. Licence Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Licence,
Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence
for the duration of the applicable copyright to exercise the rights in the
Work in accordance with applicable law as stated below"
For a UK licensor to provide a worldwide license, this license must surely be
correct under UK law...
d) This is being taken out for CC2.0, a step which I believe is fatally
flawed. The best solution is to just have an OGL-style personal
representation of authority to contribute. If a warranty isn't fair, is
passing on all risk?

I think criticising the license for being legalistic is silly given that it's
a license and given the human-readable precis that CC provides (I'm guessing
this wasn't provided). And criticising the license for being based in UK
(English/Welsh) law is silly given the aim of making a lciense watertight for
the contributor's jurisdiction. Possibly this needs explaining better for
Lord Justices. :-)

- Rob.