cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] a Q about the putting together the final sampling license

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Glenn Otis Brown <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: creative list <cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] a Q about the putting together the final sampling license
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:05:16 -0700

A question I came across while integrating our sampling language with the regular boilerplate from cc's other licenses -- and a proposed answer:

(1) All current CC licenses allow free verbatim copying for noncommercial use. Even if you pick the most restrictive license we have, people can copy your stuff for
free provided they don't profit from it or change it.

(2) Do we want this to be true under the Sampling License as well?

That is, the new value of the sampling Sampling License is that it

a) prohibits commercial verbatim copying while
b) allows commercial creative transformations.

Do we also want it to allow, like our other licenses, licensees to "copy, distribute, display, and perform verbatim the work" as long as they're doing so for
noncommercial use
?

Here's my preference, with an eye toward simplicity -- of code, user experience, website planning, logic, low number of variations, etc.

We say that the Sampling License is a very specialized use license, and that in and of itself, it does not allow even noncommercial copying, but rather simply
(a) and (b) above.

I can imagine there will be bands/artists who want to encourage sampling but aren't yet comfortable adopting the all-out free copying (even for noncommercial) CC approach.

These people can use the new Sampling License.

For those who are interested in both encouraging sampling and allowing free copies, they can license their stuff under an existing CC license _and_ the sampling license,
which will mean that the world can choose which license to use the work under.

What do you all think?

Glenn

Glenn Otis Brown glenn AT creativecommons.org
Executive Director t +1.650.723.7572
(cc) creativecommons f +1.650.723.8440