cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] Anti-advertising, what about attribution?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Christopher M. Kelty" <ckelty AT rice.edu>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] Anti-advertising, what about attribution?
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:37:46 -0500

As I said, I have great sympathy with the sentiment of preventing
advertising re-use, but in the spirit of paid speech, let me play
devil's advocate <grin>:

1. It seems to me that copyright licensing is not the place to make
the distinction between art and advertising. Copyright law might
be. Free software licenses exist (and now, content licenses) to
give people back the rights they have been denied under copyright
law, not to further enumerate new proscriptions against specific
actors. It well may be that the distinction between ads and art is
obvious to everyone, but denying rights to some on the basis
that one finds their activities reprehensible is not what
licensing contracts are for. It's what law and power and money
and influence are for. It's why not having it on your side sucks
so much.

2. Making such a distinction in the license might scare off plenty of
legitimate artistic uses. Some artists, it is clear, cannot, or
deliberately refuse, to distinuish the seller from the sale, and
therefore might see themselves as commercial/advertising entities.
I know a few people (and can imagine others) who may well want to
produce collage art, which they intend to give away for free in
order to promote themselves or their firm/non-profit/studio/cause,
and who might read the anti-advert clause as preventing them from
doing so. Do we mean to exclude all acts of promotion of any
kind, or only those perpetrated by (large?) for-profit
corporations? Put differently, can we articulate clearly which
*activities* we would prevent rather than which *motives* we think
are compromised?

3. For instance, it's one thing to say that an ad is obvious because
there is a contract stating that the work is produced by an ad
agency for another entity. It is quite another (less legal, more
common-sensical) to say that its "intent" or "ulterior motive" is
obvious. As far as I can tell, copyright law only distinguishes
between a work made by an individual, and a work made for hire.
Does it allow one, legally, to distinguish between a work made for
the purpose of promoting Pepsi and a work made for the purpose of
promoting the glory of human creativity?

3a. Another suggestion: If we want to try to prevent the former, then
maybe we need is to deny re-use rights to "works for hire"?
e.g. "The above rights are granted in all cases except those where
the work is done for hire." The down side is that this would also
prevent any contribution to a collective work (like a movie or a
compilation) from re-use. Its advantage is that it responds
directly to what copyright law enumerates.

4. I still think the attribution clause or the share alike clause
would achieve 99% of what we seek to prevent, especially if that
means re-use by large for-profit corporations. Attribution poses
a creative problem that most firms can't deal with (i.e. how do we give
credit in a commercial, or in a sound bite or on a web banner or
whatever); share alike frees their re-used content, which they
definitely don't want. I think it's worth further discussion...

thoughts?

ck