cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] SOME GUIDELINES for discussion

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Glenn Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] SOME GUIDELINES for discussion
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 02:48:09 -0800

Thanks for joining the discussion about the creation of a Creative
Commons sampling license.

Here is some information and a few guidelines for discussion:

1) Don't worry about how the sampling license will fit in with our
existing licenses and license options. We'll worry about this later.
Just focus on the key text, which you can find here:
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/2003-May/000001.html>.
(I suggest you bookmark it.)

2) This round of discussion should last about a month. Around June 23,
we'll do another draft and reopen discussion (if needed), or Creative
Commons will consider whether to implement the license.

3) The GOAL: To produce some legal language that both

a) expresses what our ideal view of how the law should treat sampling,
collage work, mash-ups, etc., and
b) is legally legit and workable.

If we can't achieve goal b), Creative Commons may not be able to adopt
the draft.

4) When you want to refer back to an earlier email, the easiest way to do
it is to go to the mail archive,
<https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-sampling/>, find the email, copy
its URL, and paste it into your email (like I did in #1 above).

5) For more information about Negativland's role and how this review
process will work, generally, see: <http://creativecommons.org/discuss>.

Thanks a bunch. Stay tuned for some background on how we got to the draft
we produced. Then I'll get out of the way and let Negativland take over.

Glenn

Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons
glenn AT creativecommons.org
+1.650.723.7572 (telephone)
+1.415.336.1433 (mobile)

  • [cc-sampling] SOME GUIDELINES for discussion, Glenn Brown, 05/23/2003