cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Stallman on the orphan-multiplier effect of NC licenses

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Stallman on the orphan-multiplier effect of NC licenses
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:53:34 +0000

Leigh said:

It seems to me that if we used todays technology to return to the practice of having to register copyright, like we do patents and remarks, then we'd be somewhere closer to a more manageable balance. Anything that is not registered is public domain.

Yes!  I’ve often had this thought myself, given that anyone who wants to protect their work should actively do so anyway (i.e. by actually thinking about their rights and what others can do with what they create).  I would suggest a slight variation to what Leigh says: you’d have to specifically assert all-rights-reserved and where this didn’t happen would not be public domain (where not even attribution is required) to a sort of moral-rights-reserved, where you’d still have to attribute the creator, not treat the work in a defamatory way, etc., as is currently expressed in the Act.  So, if I put a picture up on my blog with no rights assertion of any kind then those things still apply to the work.  So, in a way, this other type of right would be CC BY.

You wouldn’t think this would affect anyone who really makes money off their content because they already assert their rights.  It would just free up all that other stuff.  The down side for them would be the process of registering, which you’d make as simple as possible.  This would even give them the ability to assert breaches with more authority because they can say ‘see my assertion with X agency on 12-9-2009.’  You’d need some system/body for registration too.

I’ve never even really suggested this out loud because it seems the complete opposite of where things are going, as well as my own cynicism.  I’ve not checked but I presume such fundamental change would require international agreement/modification of the Berne convention terms, etc.