cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Government Support for CC-BY Open TextBooks

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Wayne Mackintosh <wayne AT oerfoundation.org>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Government Support for CC-BY Open TextBooks
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:36:13 +1300

Kia ora Danyl,

Yes -- amazing developments in North America from BC and California. Don't forget Washington State's Open Course Library project which is developing open textbooks for the top 81 community college courses in Washington State.

Aotearoa is also making good progress. I was refreshed to see the positive energy and proposals for action emerging from the New Zealand National Symposium on Open Education last week. We've compiled a short report of the national symposium with video recordings for colleagues who were not able to attend in person.

Coincidently, the British Columbia open textbook initiative will be coordinated by BCcampus who are a founding anchor partner of the OER university initiative head-quartered out of Otepoti -- so we have good connections with the open textbook initiative in North America.

Following the NZ National Symposium for Open Education, we have established a volunteer "community of practice" to take the draft proposals for action forward. The OER Foundation subscribes to open philanthropy and radical transparency and the proposals for action are being developed openly in WikiEducator.

We've established an open list for NZOpenEd and anyone interested in assisting with harnessing the potential of open education approaches for the benefit of the formal compulsory and tertiary education sectors in New Zealand is most welcome to join us.

Cheers
Wayne