cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Otago: Documentary Screening and Inaugural Meeting of Students for Free Culture

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Otago: Documentary Screening and Inaugural Meeting of Students for Free Culture
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:04:30 +1200

Tēnā koutou katoa

All supporters of free culture (students and non-students alike) are
invited to attend the founding gathering of Students for Free Culture
Otago. This will be held in the Otago Room at the OUSA Clubs and
Societies building, on Tuesday 18 September, 2012, from 6pm. Please
pass this invitation along to anyone who may be interested.

We will screen 'Us Now' (60mins, CC-NC-SA), a 2009 documentary about
"crowdsourcing" in its many forms, and the implications it has for
democratic participation in every aspect of our society.
http://vodo.net/usnow/

As a pre-feature treat, we will also show 'Free the Network'
(CC-NC-SA), a 30min short about the experiences of the Free Network
Foundation founders at Occupy Wall St.
http://archive.org/details/FreeTheNetwork

Following the screenings, there will be a short meeting for anyone
keen to help establish a branch of Students for Free Culture as an
OUSA affiliated club.

Program for the Evening:

6pm doors open, come in for a chat, and sign up for the club
7pm Free the Network
7:30pm Us now
8:30pm Meeting
9:30pm wind up and go home.

What Students for Free Culture Otago could do next is totally up to
those who decide to become members.

One suggestion is that we hold a discussion on the issue of software
patents, including a screening of 'Patent Absurdity' (30mins,
CC-BY-ND), a short doco funded by the Free Software Foundation, which
explains some of the problems created by software patents.
http://patentabsurdity.com/

We could also show the TED Talk by Drew Curtis about his experience
with a "patent troll".
http://www.ted.com/talks/drew_curtis_how_i_beat_a_patent_troll.html

This is an important issue right now in Aotearoa. The Patents
Amendment Bill, which was originally intended to exclude software from
the patent system, is currently before parliament, but a minor change
has been made that could allow software patents to sneak in through
back door. For more information, and a petition asking the government
to keep the lid shut on software patents:
http://no.softwarepatents.org.nz/

Again, it's totally up to people you like you to support the club, and
help run whatever free culture related activities scratch your itch.
The first step is getting the club set up. See you Tuesday at
Clubs'n'Socs!.

Nau mai, haere mai,

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407