cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Case Studies; CCANZ update

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Case Studies; CCANZ update
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:01:26 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Thanks Matt, sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. I'm sure the
CC community will do our best to help you settle in.

On that note, I've been keen for a long time to see some more formal
voluntary roles created to support the Project Lead, and ideally look
for ways to turn these into paid positions. This brings us to an issue
not mentioned in this update - funding. From what I understand, CC ANZ
current funding takes us through to some time next year. We need to
ensure we have funding beyond next year, to ensure we can keep Matt on
;) It would be great if this would extend to funding other positions/
projects.

I'm sure the Board will be working on this, but others in the
community may know of funding sources they could investigate. Also,
Anna from the crowdfunding site PledgeMe.co.nz is really supportive of
CreativeCommons, and I think there is definitely scope for working
with them to fund specific projects. StandUp.org.nz even managed to
crowdfund a salary for their project director through PledgeMe.
https://pledgeme.co.nz/Crowd/Details/167

PledgeMe may also be a source of case studies, especially of
multimedia projects (music, film etc), which has been one of the
biggest stumbling blocks for CC ANZ. From my conversations with
artists, they are afraid that adopting CC puts them offside with an
entertainment industry hell-bent on defending and extending their
all-rights-reserved powers. Obviously this is a disincentive to any
artist that aspires to make a living from their art or even just get
funding to produce it. PledgeMe is game-changing because it offers the
possibility that there might be another way to get money for and from
creative work.

On the subject of the 10 year anniversary of CC, I'd like to suggest
we hold public events around the country, in as many centres as
possible, to re-launch the website (and the 4.0 licenses if they are
ready in time). I'm imagining something along the lines of the various
Software Freedom Day events around the country. This would be a chance
to:
* publicly promote the new website and CC in general (press release)
* bring the growing CC community together for celebration and networking
* build local networks that can continue to have regular meet-ups
(seasonal/ monthly?)

I'm keen to spearhead an event for the 10 year anniversary here in
Ōtepoti. Anyone else willing to muck in?

I'm keen to have some local 'free culture' meet-ups anyway, so I look
forward to catching up with Otakau-based CC supporters soon.

Ka nui te mihi
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
- Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml