cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Announcing the Liberated Pixel Cup: an epic contest for gaming freedom

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Announcing the Liberated Pixel Cup: an epic contest for gaming freedom
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:55:09 +1200

Kia ora koutou

In the wake of Culture Freedom Day, I've discovered some new
initiatives on the CreativeCommons.org blog. The one that excited me
the most was the announcement of this collaboration between
CreativeCommons, the Free Software Foundation, and the Open Game Art
community:

"Announcing the Liberated Pixel Cup: an epic contest for gaming freedom"
https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/32322?utm_campaign=newsletter_1205&utm_medium=blog&utm_source=newsletter

Gaming is one of the last anchors keeping many people using Windows on
the desktop, and proprietary gaming platforms (intentionally retarded
computers) like Playstation, X-Box and Nintendo are one of the last
bastions of DRM and other crippleware. As gaming companies start to
open up, license their gaming engines under free code licenses, and
their game artwork under CC, this opens up a galaxy of possibilities
(I've written about this here
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/libre-game-development).
The Liberated Pixel Cup is all about encouraging this. If you know
anyone who is interested in game development, from hobby mod-maker to
professional developer, please spread the word.

The other one that blew my mind was the World Bank's announcement of
their CC-BY licensed Open Knowledge Repository, which led me to
discover their 2 year old Open Data Initiative. I've blogged about
this here:
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/blog/2012/05/21/world-bank-launches-open-knowledge-repository/

Ngā mihi
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
- Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

"There is tenderness only in the coarsest demand: that no-one should
go hungry any more. That children go hungry, that they will be cold
and starving, and uncared for this winter, right here in New York,
condemns every fine word said in favor of the current social order by
the sock puppets whose fine, well paid job it is to find excuses for
it."
- Theodor Adorno

  • [Cc-nz] Announcing the Liberated Pixel Cup: an epic contest for gaming freedom, Danyl Strype, 05/21/2012