cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] BitCoin

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Hamish MacEwan <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] BitCoin
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 06:13:28 +1200

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 19:11, Danyl Strype
<strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz> wrote:

> Has anyone on this list heard of BitCoin? It's a peer-to-peer
> currency, already accepted by a range of online vendors, including a
> list of music sites, which is why I thought it might be of interest to
> the CC community:
> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade#Music

It seems to have popped into the mainstream recently, Nathan
Torkington mentioned it both online and on-air, with a couple of links
I found useful:

http://www.quora.com/Bitcoin/Is-the-cryptocurrency-Bitcoin-a-good-idea
http://www.weusecoins.com/

Currency has always attracted interest, obsessive, compulsive,
magnetic new age crystal interest. And BitCoin the same. Like a lot
of open source, it's not clear and not sophisticated, but it just
might work.

Mining them seems futile without the correct hardware and buying them
seems awkward:

https://www.mtgox.com/users/addFunds

Finally, if it's any good, the State will crush it... yeah, right,
like file sharing I imagine.

I'd be interested in more information about "worrying implications?"
My feeling is fiat currencies currently demonstrate worrying frailties
and BitCoin is at least, AFAIK, free of the manipulation and control
fiat currencies are prone to.

Interesting, and if there was an easier way to buy BitCoins, I would.

> Danyl

Hamish.
--
http://tr.im/HKM