cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Opening Australia's ARchive: Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Opening Australia's ARchive: Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:02:36 +1100

Hi Jessica,

The link to the principles appears broke: http://creativecommons.org.au/?attachment_id=2386

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au> wrote:
Dear all

As some of you may already have seen on our blog, I am please to announce that Creative Commons Australia's sister research project, Opening Australia’s Archives, has released a first version of its Open Access Principles for Australian Collecting Institutions.

For those who haven't come across the Opening Australia's Archives project, it was initiated in 2009 to explore opportunities to increase the public’s ability to access and reuse our national collections through coordinated sector-policy, implementation and advocacy. Its first major activity was to run a series of meetings around Australia in late 2009 aimed at facilitating discussion between representatives of the cultural sector on the issue of open access collections.

One of the main pieces of feedback from these forums was the need  for a set of simple principles or guidelines that set out what open access is and how it may be instituted by a collecting body. The Principles are a response to this feedback. They aim to assist institutions exploring digital strategies by describing basic open access policies and strategies that may be of use to them. They also provide case studies of successful open access initiatives in the sector both in Australia and worldwide.

You can find more information the Principles, as well as rich text, pdf and wiki versions, at http://creativecommons.org.au/research/openarchives and http://www.ip.qut.edu.au/opening_access_to_australian_archives.

In line with the commitment during the Creative Archive meetings, we intend these Principles to be a growing and collaborative project that draws on expertise across the sector. Thus the version released this week is merely Version 1. This version draws on discussion at the meetings and subsequent feedback from interested members of the Australian collecting sector. However, we would like to invite and encourage feedback on this version, to further align it with the needs and expectations of the sector.

Please feel free to provide feedback on the Principles in any form you like – as comments, as tracked changes, as a written email, or through the wiki. Any feedback we receive will be used to update and improve the Principles for future versions.

Sorry for any cross-postings.

Jessica Coates
Alumni
Creative Commons Australia and ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation
email: jessica.m.coates AT gmail.com.au