cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Teachers searching for CC images

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Teachers searching for CC images
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:04:26 +1300

Kia ora koutou

On 1 November 2010 14:09, Jane Hornibrook <janehornibrook AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> What are some concerns teachers may have when working with groups of
>> children in web searching exercises? <<

As a parent, I'm very aware that the web is a public place, which
includes many wild places, and many adults-only places. Just as I
wouldn't want my child wandering around downtown without supervision,
I don't want her wandering around the web without supervision. The
scope of the search, therefore, depends on the level of supervision.

With me (or a teacher or other trusted adult) watching over her
shoulder, I would be happy for my child to browse the web at large,
just as I would be happy to let her guide me on a wander about town.
In both cases, I would be able to prevent her going anywhere dangerous
or age-inappropriate, and talk to her about anything that confused or
upset her.

In a classroom environment, with one teacher supervising a number of
children, I would definitely be in favour of the scope of the search
being carefully limited. I let my 10 year old bike or walk to the
local school without supervision, but I would be hesitant to let her
take a bus into town for the day by herself.

This is one of the many benefits of the semantic web, and the
meta-tagging of non-text content (images, audio, video etc), including
the tagging of files with CC metadata. Search tools can be constructed
to exclude age-inappropriate topics, or limit searches to given
topics.

Note: while these types of filtering may be appropriate in an
educational institution, or from an ISP by request of an internet
user, there is IMHO no moral argument for applying government
controlled filters to the public internet, as in the case of the NZ
Department of Internal Affairs web filter, and the similar filters
which are being proposed in Oz, and already in place in the UK:
http://techliberty.org.nz/issues/internet-filtering/filtering-faq/

Nga mihi mahan

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Business would like to be the definition of what is thinkable and
what is reasonable, and what's desirable. And anyone who doesn't agree
they would of course say is radical."
http://www.pigdog.org/interviews/stallman/interview_with_stallman2.html

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

- Both quotes by Richard Stallman

  • Re: [Cc-nz] Teachers searching for CC images, Danyl Strype, 11/25/2010