cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CC and open education in NZ schools

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Jane Hornibrook <janehornibrook AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-nz <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CC and open education in NZ schools
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 22:47:46 +1200

Another message to pass on... this time from our open education maestro Wayne Macintosh. Please see below.

- Jane

 Hi Everyone,

We need you advice, feedback and recommendations on two draft documents. With apology for the long email -- but this is an important initiative aimed at improving the future sustainability of educational investment in New Zealand.  Three points are covered in this email.
  1. Background to copyright and the sharing of digital teaching materials in New Zealand
  2. A possible solution to enable and promote the sharing of digital teaching materials in New Zealand
  3. We need your help -- Please provide feedback (detail and links below)
We look forward to receiving your feedback. Together we can achieve far more than working alone.

Cheers
Wayne
OER is a sustainable and renewable resource :-)

Background to copyright and the sharing of digital teaching materials.

In general, the copyright of teaching materials created by teachers while in the employ of a school belongs to the Board of Trustees in terms of the New Zealand Copyright Act. The default copyright of these materials will be "all rights reserved", which means teachers cannot legally share, reuse and adapt materials without prior permission from the Copyright holder :-(.

As educators, I believe that we should be working towards a culture of permissions (as opposed to a culture of restrictions) by returning to the core value of education, that is, to share knowledge freely.

In a digital and networked society we have the option to use Creative Commons licensing frameworks which grant educators the permissions to share and reuse digital teaching materials, while respecting the intellectual property rights of the original creator. Members from the OERNZ community have been working on two documents that will enable us to live out our educational values in a digital age.

A possible solution to enable and promote the sharing of digital teaching materials in New Zealand

We have been working on two draft documents:
  • "Our School Uses Creative Commons Policy" -- A draft agreement where a New Zealand School can choose to share teaching materials they create under Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand (http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/) licences
  • Sharing Open Education Resources (OER)  - Information Sheet -- A short one pager explaining the concept of OER (especially for individuals who may not be familiar with the international OER movement).
We need your help -- please provide feedback

We need you advice, feedback and recommendations on these draft documents. Please provide your feedback in the wiki so that we have a record of your views and suggestions. You will find Instructions on accessing downloadable versions of the documents and how to provide feedback on the relevant pages:

Our School Uses Creative Commons Policy

See: http://wikieducator.org/OERNZ/Our_School_Uses_Creative_Commons_Policy

Sharing Open Education Resources - Information Sheet

http://wikieducator.org/OERNZ/Sharing_Open_Education_Resources_-_Information_Sheet

--
Jane Hornibrook
Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand

  • [Cc-nz] CC and open education in NZ schools, Jane Hornibrook, 05/31/2010