cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Pure:Dyne multimedia linux distro

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Pure:Dyne multimedia linux distro
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:13:41 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Have you heard of Dyne:Bolic? It's a distribution of linux designed for running media applications on older computers. It runs quite well as a live disk (so well that I briefly forgot I was running my OS off a CD!), and can be installed on a hard disk by simply copying the Dyne folder off the CD onto a Windoze or Linux partition (you have to manually edit your boot loader to make it boot without the CD though):
http://www.dynebolic.org/

There hasn't been a release of Dyne:Bolic since the end of 2007, so I'm checking out another live distro called Pure:Dyne, which according to Wikipedia was originally based on Dyne:Dolic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puredyne

It's developed by a UK arts collective called GOTO10, as a tool for teaching sound and video media processing. They even managed to get funding from Arts Council England. I wonder if we could get funding to start teaching kiwi artists how to use open source tools? This could easily incorporate information about the pros and cons of CC licensing, and how to use the various CC technologies to tag digital works with licensing information.

Nga mihi
Danyl

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html