cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Victorian Government and CC

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Victorian Government and CC
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 00:30:03 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Thanks for that Jane, great news for CC.

I'm curious as to whether the CC license being recommended for the public sector includes a non-commercial clause or not? I can see arguments for both sides. On the one hand, I think it's reasonable for people and entities making a private profit from information resources created with public funds to return some of that profit to the public purse. On the other hand, businesspeople are taxpayers too, and I can imagine them arguing (quite fairly) that they shouldn't have to may for this information twice.

Thoughts?
Nga mihi
Danyl

Quoting "Jane Hornibrook" <janehornibrook AT gmail.com>:

Here is some great news posted by Jessica Coates from CC Australia on
several discussion lists. Please see below.

- Jane

*Hi all*

*Anyone interested in copyright might have seen the two big Australian court
cases that are getting a lot of airtime at the moment ? one stating that the
iiNet ISP isn?t liable for its users bittorrenting, and the other saying
that Men at Work are liable for using part of ?Kookaburra sits in the Old
Gum Tree? in ?I Come from the Land Downunder?. *

*But because of this you might have missed another big Australian free
culture announcement - the Victorian Government has become the first
Australian government to commit to using Creative Commons as the default
licensing system for its public sector information.*

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html